Friday, September 12, 2008

A Gentle Reminder

Today started as usually.. having more things to do than time to do it in.. I was so behind in work.. I was trying top rush and get it all in... You make mistakes when you do that.. I am 5 hours behind and need to rush!!I have several items to mail and thought I would mail them tomorrow. I decided I had to get the items out now. We have a storm headed our way.. I really didn't have time to go, but I went anyway..I arrived and there were 12 people in line.. Oh my, I will be here for awhile... People were in line and you could sense their restlessness.. toes were tapping on the floor, fingers on the counter.. no one was a happy camper.. An elderly man wasin the line.. I would find later he is 97!Finally the moment arrives and I place all the packages on the counter. The Postal Lady starts doing my packages.. out of the corner of my eye, I see the elderly man start to shuffle back in... he goes to the back of the line to start over..As soon as I finish, I head out the door.. but, something inside tells me to stop and ask this man how old he is.. I tap him in the shoulder and ask.. He replies "97" ... I leave and as I start to put my key in the car.. Something inside.. says.. STOP!!!! I know it was God, but I didn't have time to stop, I had places to be.. I am in a rush!! I am 5 hours behind!!!!I listened to God... I went back inside the post office and the same man is waiting patiently in line..now there is 14 people in front of him. I can sense that he is blessed just to take another breath.. He is not in a rush.. he is taking each breath of God in patience! I gently tap him on the shoulder and say "Sir, I will wait in the line for you and pay for your package" He turns and his gentle old gray eyes.. say "Thank you"... Suddenly, the postal worker behind the counter said: "Ma'am... that's o.k... have him come to the counter..".... Everyone started clapping for this man and this elderly man turned and smiled at all..(Yes, I am in tears as is everyone in the line" .. )Suddenly the Post Office Changed.. Everyone turned to the person next to them and said: "Have A God Blessed Day"... Frowns turned to smiles and the kindness in the room was more than most people could take.. Doors were being opened... Gentle whispers of happiness were being shared... At that moment.. "Not having enough time to wait" turned into a lesson of life and what awaits!As I left, I saw the elderly man in his car.. He had left several moments before I.. Why was he taking so long to leave.. .. Oh yes God.. I see...Because he is not in a rush... He is taking each moment with a single breath...Take time today to show kindness and remember that life is not to be a race.. it is to be taken with a single breath.... Who knows, by slowing down, you may feel the presence of God working within you...May you all have a very blessed day.....

3 comments:

Judy said...

Kathy, I read your blog with tears in my eyes, I too, am always in a rush. So good to hear from you on my blog the other day. How are you all? Hope okay. Your family looks nice in the picture. We are in revival and of course, busy. Judu

Judy said...

Kathy, I read your blog with tears in my eyes, I too, am always in a rush. So good to hear from you on my blog the other day. How are you all? Hope okay. Your family looks nice in the picture. We are in revival and of course, busy. Judy

Cheryl Watters said...

What a sweet reminder that many times we are just too busy and need to slow down. That is me! I need to just take time to 'smell the roses' and enjoy life. Thanks for sharing.